Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Ohhh...The Goddess

Im doing my best to not create a “list” of things to do in a day. It’s like quitting smoking. It’s SO HARD. Because if I create a list, then Im off all day running errands and tasking then obsess about checking off all the boxes and if all the boxes are not checked off at the end of the day Im extremely uncomfortable. Now that Im not creating daily lists I just feel like there is always something I am forgetting. Then again.... all I did yesterday was bake a cake, took a bath, did yoga and finally got out of my pajamas at 4pm just so Tim would not think I was in my pajamas all day. Hummm...maybe a list is in order. Im finding Im not an extremely motived individual on my own. Which now that I think about it, I’ve always known about myself. If Im not under a forced deadline I’ll just do nothing. Sit home, watch a movie, take a nap, read, write, cook and eat. Guess that is not such a bad life...for the moment.


Im doing what I came out here to do though. Im getting in a lot of travel (for me), Im cooking constantly and always creating new things and my cooking is developing in a really great new way, and Im writing a lot. I want to write a book but it’s totally overwhelming and Im not sure what to write about. Is it my life story? And if so who really gives a crap. Seems so narcissistic to write it down but then again people have asked that I do it. I’ve also been obsessing about the whole Goddess thing since Turkey (thank you my girlfriend Claudia) and went into a near by town called Glastonbury that is a total hippy town and bought a bunch of books on The Goddess. They are really interesting books. It’s so great to read them and I wonder why we are not taught this information. Women would truly feel like an important part of history rather than a spec of history. Everyone who writes the books has the same common theme. It’s not all about women power and squashing the man, which is always the problem I had with the 70’s and 80’s women’s activism. Although, don’t get me wrong, we needed that to get to where we are today. These books are about balancing the masculine and feminine in ourselves and on the planet. We have been male dominated for the last 4000 years and because of that we have an imbalance in ourselves and on the planet. I found out that when people worshiped the Goddess and God equally there was a balance on the earth. They respected and saw women as “Mother Goddess” or Mother Earth and treated women like they treated the earth. Viewed us both as the same. As life givers and so in turn gave to the earth rather than just took from it. Because we have ignored so much of our history and focused so much on the masculine we have just built and taken from the earth and now our earth needs to be built back up again, as does the feminine and once there is true balance between the two the earth will be back at peace again. Ta Da!! Easy ;)


This is also what the Age of Aquarius is about which is what we are in the cusp of now. As some of you know Im a also a bit obsessed with 2012 which coincides with the Age of Aquarius. There are a million different belief systems out there on what is happening right now in the world and where we are headed. On a purely scientific level they are predicting that every 26,000 years all the planets align, which happens to be coming up 12/21/2012. They feel when that happens the earth’s poles will shift making this planet a much different place than the one we are used to. Then there are the Mayans who’s calendar, which we base our entire day, month year and clock off of suddenly ends 12/21/2012. No one knows why? Did they just get sick of plotting out time? Were they just like, “dudes, Im tired, we have been plotting this time thing out for years and were done.” or is there a larger meaning behind it? Then there is the yogi perspective. That the earth is changing. That our poles are gently shifting. That we are made up of exactly the same thing the earth is made up of and as the earth changes, we change with it. On a purely subconscious level. One we don’t really see but if you look around you can see the changes. More people are doing yoga, trying to find meaning in their lives rather than just accepting the rules that were laid down by the generations before us. People are starting to feel different, they are starting to feel their intuition and follow it rather than just blowing it off thinking that it is our “imagination”.


The yogi’s believe that we are moving into a feminine rule rather than the rule we have been in before which is Piscean and masculine ruled. So who knows. Whatever the belief system I personally believe we are headed for some sort of a change. I think the change is happening now and will continue to grow more and more intense as time goes by. I believe we are headed for a kinder world. Where we help one another rather than watch people rot on the street or starve. A place where we truly believe that we are all one. We are all connected and to treat someone or the earth or another animal different than we would treat ourselves or a family member would be to create a crime. You would not walk past your Grandmother or Grandfather on the street and not look him or her in the eye and give them food or money. You would actually pick them up and bring them home with you and take care of them. I know..it’s unrealistic to bring home a crazy person off the street and let them live with you for the rest of their lives but wouldn’t this world be an amazing place if we actually did do that. Lived for someone else rather than ourselves and our small circle of friends and family. Believe me....I wish I was that person. Im not. I fight my fears as I look a person that seems “crazy” on the street as I hand them money then think about what sort of sickness I might have picked up from them and run to the nearest bathroom and wash my hands. It’s fucked really. I always think about Jesus healing the Lepers. He was not afraid to touch them, to help them heal and he never got sick and he brought so much healing to so many people. So I try to bring in some Jesus when I start thinking that the person who smells and is sleeping on the street just needs some love. Love they probably have not felt in years if ever in their lives. I think about how they may have never had a Mother who loved them or held them and it’s been years since someone actually touched them or held them or told them they were beautiful. I think about the times when I have been single and how demented I became just by not having human contact for months on end. I would go get a massage or a manny petty or a haircut just so that someone would touch me because it had been so long and I was so lonely. Take that and times it by 1000 and you have your homeless person, or your old person who has no one and sits home alone. Another great quote by Paulo Cohelo is this, “someday we will cure solitude, which is worse than hunger”. Or something close to that. I don’t have the book in front of me but it struck me. What would this world be like without loneliness? What if everyone had someone that they could depend on, live with, love.


I thought a lot about this in Turkey. I saw very few homeless people in my travels. I asked a Turkish person about this and he looked at me like I was crazy. “We do not have homeless here. We take care of our people and our families. You will not find many homeless in this country.” He said sort of appalled. And this is a country where people are so poor. I saw old women carting buckets of water up large hills in 100 degree heat. Pushing around wheel barrels of dirt and rock into their dusty home that had no toilet or running water and inside saw entire families living in one small hut. And I was in the tourist part of Turkey. Im not sure what it was like on the outskirts. A girlfriend of mine is in Africa right now. She sent me an email saying that they were traveling in small villages where entire families and their cows would all sleep together in one mud hut and they were all so happy, smiling, kids running around. They were not bothered and they were all together. I don’t know...Im off on some tangent now but some things to think about. Things I think about for a moment then get back to my life. Where I need to die my hair because the grays are showing and buy some Maple Syrup (which is like liquid gold in this country - no maple trees here) so that I can bake another vegan cake for the barbecue that we are going to tomorrow and I forget all about what is happening in the rest of the world.


Life is relative to where you are and what you are doing but I do think that it’s changing and is going to continue to change and we have to change along with it. Embrace our feminine side. Balance the masculine and feminine in us. Here are some feminine traits. Things I try to focus on to embrace the feminine in myself.


Spontaneity, feeling, instinct, intuition, unity, nurturing, childbirth, life giving, fertility, earth.


Here is a description of the Mother Goddess from the book I am reading. This is the Goddess that was worshiped for thousands of years up until about 4,000 years ago. “The Mother Goddess, wherever she is found, is an image that inspires and focus a perception of the universe as an organic, alive and sacred whole, in which humanity, the Earth and all life on Earth participate as “her children”. Everything is woven together in one cosmic web where all orders of manifest and unmanifest life are related, because they all share in the sanctity of the original source.” “Life giving, nourishing and regenerating powers of the universe.” They felt this was the Feminine because of our monthly flow and how it corresponds to the moon and we wax and wane with the moon and we can give life as does the earth. So they thought we were one in the same.


Pretty cool eh? I think so. And I have not lost my mind...just have some time on my hands to actually dive into what Im interested in.


Okay...enough babble out of me today. I’ve seriously got to get out of this house before noon and go for a bike ride. Otherwise I will stay here, take a nap and then it will be 5pm.


Attaching a photo from the Goddess figures they found from the Paleolithic Times. This is one they found over 20,000 years ago. She was known as the Mother Goddess and was worshiped by all. Yes ladies...what a different world this would be if men worshiped this type of body rather than the 15 year old model body?? We could eat all the chocolate cake and cheese we wanted.


1 comment:

LAleda said...

I love you Hilary.